Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Striving for a Clear Conscience



Acts 24:10

This being so, I myself always strive to have a conscience without offense toward God and men.

There is nothing better in life than to live knowing you have not offended anyone and you have nothing to hide. That is freedom. To me that is the essence of being a Christ follower. There are times in life where we experience blocks of time where there is no offense but inevitably we do offend. But as Christians, we must continue to strive toward a conscience without offense toward God and men.

When Jesus met Zaccheus and Jesus came home with him, the hometown folks were quick to remind Zack of his offense. Zaccheus said, "If I have offended anyone, I will pay back four times what I took from them. Why? Why even bother to cover an offense?

Because Zack knew like Paul did that this life we live everyday is not the final frontier. One day when this life is over, we will all have to stand before God to give an account for how we lived, who we helped, and who we hurt.

Paul stood in court in Ceserea in front of Felix. He stood there with a clean conscience to defend his faith. In this life, you need to know that people will try you because of what you believe, but make sure when you stand up you have a clean conscience so it won't hurt your witness.

How do we strive to have a conscience without offense:
1. Watch what you say. Always taste your words before you let them come out of your mouth. You can't take back words. They go out and do something so be careful what you speak.

2. Treat others like you want to be treated. Enough said.

3. Be the first to apologize. Even if you feel they owe you one first. As a Christ follower you have to set the example.

4. LOve the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind. Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Dear God help me to live a life consistent with your values. Keep me in right relationship with man and with you. I know that when I speak truth that I will offend men, but when my ways are pleasing to you my offense will ultimately lead to reconciliation. If I have offended anyone by not being in your will, forgive me and help me to restore relationship. Most of all, if I have offended you, forgive me and restore me back to fellowship with you. Help me to strive for a conscience free of offense toward you and men.

In Jesus Name ,

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment