Monday, February 2, 2009

You Can't See Me!



Exodus 33:22

So it shall be while my Glory passes by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock, and will cover you with my hand while I pass by. 23 Then I will take away My hand and you shall see My back; but my face shall not be seen.

There are seasons in life where you can't see God moving. One theologian describes him as the "unseen Mover." You know that he's there but yet you can't see him. There is in all of us this desire to see before we move. we wan't to know God is with us before we move out into the unknown. Just because we can't see him doesn't mean he's not there.

Why can't we see him?

God told Moses that he would send his angel in front of them to drive out their enemies so they could inhabit the promised land but God said, "I can't come up in the midst of you because you are a stiff-necked people and I will have to consume you.

We ought to be thankful that sometimes God chooses to pull back and we not see him because his Holiness would consume us. Moses wanted Re-Assurance that God was going with them. Exodus 33:45 Moses said, "If your presence does not go with us, do not bring us up from here." I don't mind facing what I got to face but I ain't going unless you go with me.

Moses also wanted God to show him his Glory. God was reluctant because no one can look at God's face and live. he's just that Holy! God has to hide his face from you so his Glory won't kill you.

When Jesus appeared to Saul on the Road to Damascus, the Glory blinded Saul. He asked Saul why he was persecuting him. Saul asked, "Who are you Lord?" The men with Saul could hear the voice but they could not see God. Paul was blinded by the Glory. While he was blilnd the bible says that God sent Ananias to give Saul his sight. God said Saul has seen you in a vision. Sometimes when God blinds you with his Glory, you can see better. Some of you can't see him but your vision is better.

Moses said God let me see you. This is what God does to give you a glimpse of his Glory:

1. He will hide you in a cleft of a rcok. This is for your own safety. He will put you in an obscure place to give him room to come by you.

2. He Covers you with his hand. If God had not covered you then you would have died from his presence. There are times in your life when God showed up, you couldn't handle it and he covered you so that he could pass by without consuming you.

3. God will do a Pass By. Anthony Hamilton sings in his song, "Pass me over", Pass me over till my savior comes. We used to sing, "Pass me not O gentle savior". But you ought to be glad that there were times when God did pass you buy. You weren't ready for his Glory but he still covered you while he passed by.

4. He pulls back at the last minute to give you a glimpse. When Jacob wrestled with God all night. The bible says that God touched his hip and broke his hip socket. The word touched means literally a touch. While God was wrestling with Jacob, he purposely witheld his power so he coulnd't kill him but when he touched him, it shattered his hip. Ain't you glad he just showed you a little bit?

5. The little that he shows you will be too much for other people to handle.

Exodus 34:50 So when Aaron and all the children of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone, and they were afraid to come near him.

Dear God show me your Glory. Go before us and show yourself strong. Drive out all our enemies. Let your signs and wonders give you Glory and give us assurance that you are with us. Thank you for taking us into the promised land and for giving me a glimpse of your glory.

In Jesus Name.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment