Monday, May 24, 2010

Can I Have A Refill?

Romans 5:5
God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us.


A good waiter will not let your glass get empty while you are eating. Before you can say, “can I have…” they are there with a refill. There are other times however, when you sit in a restaurant and you run out of your beverage before you finish your meal and you are waiting patiently with that quiet panic building hoping the waiter will come before you have problems swallowing your food. When they delay too long, you will stop the first person you see who looks like they work there and ask, “can I please get a refill?”

In life, we all desire to have full cups. David said, “he anoints my head with oil, my cup runneth over.” There are times when we are operating under God’s anointing and our cups overflow but then there are others when we love to wait on him and our soul is thirsty. The only thing we can do is cry out to God for the wait staff of heaven, the Holy Spirit, to come and give us a refill. The only way we can have our families right is if we can get a refill. The only way we can remain healthy is if we get a refill. The only way we can love our enemies is if we get a refill.

Paul said, “God pours love into our hearts.” I can hear God turning over the pitcher in heaven and refreshing our soul with love as it is poured into our empty cups. What empties our cups is ministry, hard times, conflict, and each time life demands more from us we give away our love in response to the needs and before long even the best of us needs a refill.

God pours love in our hearts through the Holy Sprit.
How do you get a refill?

1. Sit in God’s presence. Each morning wake up for devotion and let God minister to you through His word.

2. Have a receptive and teachable spirit. You can’t pour anything into a cup that is turned over or one that is already full with carnal knowledge. Come with an empty cup.

3. Attend worship every week. You can’t get a refill if you keep driving past the filling station. Worship fills the soul with inspiration and revelation.

4. Retreat. Take about 3 days in a retreat center or monastery so you can hear from God again. Monasteries are very economical and very replenishing for the soul.

5. Rest. The only way to restore your serotonin levels, the chemical that promotes happiness, is to get some rest. Your prime time for REM sleep is between 11pm and 3am. Go to bed early and wake up rested.

Dear God,
I am weak, I am worn, precious Lord I need a refill. I’m calling in to Heaven’s pharmacy for a refill on my prescription to heal me of my emptiness. I’ve given all that I have in my tank and I need you to refill me. Help me to love out of my overflow and not fumes. Let my reactions be from the Spirit and not the flesh. Do not allow me to be overcome with evil but to overcome evil with good.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment