Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Heart & Hands

Psalm 78:72 and David shepherded them with integrity of heart; with skillful hands he led them.

Whenever we look for a leader or an employee we are quick to assess their skill level or their gifts. Can they say it? Can they do it? Can they make it? From all outer appearances there are plenty of people who appear to be able to get the job done but internally there are a lot of issues that could be brewing in the heart.

God warned the prophet Samuel of this when he selected David as King. From the outside David didn't look like much but the boy had skillful hands he could handle weapons & he was strong. He had strangled a bear & a lion. He defeated Goliath with a sling shot. He was a great warrior. He could play the harp. He had skills!

If our young people are going to make it in this competitive job market they are going to have to have some skills. It's important & vital to attain a good education but we would do well to ensure that our children & that we ourselves have skillful hands.

I had dinner with the Mayor from Holly Springs, MS Sunday & he was telling the women who cooked our dinner, " I know how to cook too! My mother told me, 'Son get in that Kitchen & learn how to cook so that if you don't get a wife you won't starve!" Here is a Mayor, educated, strong leader but he's also good with his hands.

Every child will not go to college but every child can learn a skill.

Not only was David skilled with his hands but he had integrity in his heart. David said, "I have hidden His word in my heart that I might not sin against God." the bible says David was a man after God's own heart. David wasn't perfect but he loved God & when he messed up, he was quick to repent & not repeat. Read Psalm 51.

Oftentimes, our talent can take us where our character can't keep us because of heart issues. We've got to work on our heart just as much as we work with our hands. How do we work on our heart?

1. Store up on God's Word
2. Confess your sins to God
3. Forgiving one another
4. Being led by the Spirit
5. Watching what you put in your Spirit

Dear God, strengthen the work of my hands and clean my heart. Give me balance between my skill & my integrity. I don't want to just be able to do good (perform) but I want to be good (transform). Thank you for making me a leader from the inside out.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment