Monday, May 10, 2010

Don't Get Caught Up

2 Samuel 18:9
Absalom happened to meet the servants of David. Absalom was riding on his mule, and the mule went under the thick branches of a great oak. His head caught fast in the oak, and he was left hanging between heaven and earth, while the mule that was under him went on.


It’s easy to get caught up in ourselves. In this narcissistic society where it’s all about us, it’s easy to get caught up with an over indulgence of hedonistic pursuits. I think this is caught very well in the movie “Drumline” where the band director reminds the lead drummer that he selected him years ago because he loved the sound of the line more than he loved the sound of his own drum but when Devin (played by Nick Canon) came along the lead drummer shifted to falling in love with the sound of his own drum. He got caught up.

Absalom, David’s son, got caught up in a tree by his hair and Absalom drove three spears in his heart for committing treason but it was way before the tree that he got caught up.

1. He got caught up with revenge when his sister Tamar got raped. 2 Samuel 13: 28 Absalom ordered his men, "Listen! When Amnon is in high spirits from drinking wine and I say to you, 'Strike Amnon down,' then kill him. Don't be afraid. Have not I given you this order? Be strong and brave." 29 So Absalom's men did to Amnon what Absalom had ordered. Then all the king's sons got up, mounted their mules and fled.

2. He got caught up with bitterness when his father didn’t want to see him. 2 Samuel 14: 32 Absalom said to Joab, "Look, I sent word to you and said, 'Come here so I can send you to the king to ask, "Why have I come from Geshur? It would be better for me if I were still there!" ' Now then, I want to see the king's face, and if I am guilty of anything, let him put me to death."

3. He got caught up with deception when he won the people’s hearts by misrepresenting his father. 2 Samuel 15:5-7 (New International Version)

5 Also, whenever anyone approached him to bow down before him, Absalom would reach out his hand, take hold of him and kiss him. 6 Absalom behaved in this way toward all the Israelites who came to the king asking for justice, and so he stole the hearts of the men of Israel.

4. He got caught up with pride when he took over his father’s kingdom with mutiny and slept with his father’s concubines. 2 Samuel 16:22So they pitched a tent for Absalom on the roof, and he lay with his father's concubines in the sight of all Israel.

5. He got caught up in his own vanity, he got caught up in the branches by his hair and Joab threw three spears in his heart. The very thing that made Absalom distinguished and handsome got him caught up.

How do we avoid getting caught up? By humbling ourselves before the Lord and letting him raise us when it’s time to be raised. Don’t let your vanity get your caught up to where you are no longer grounded. Absalom hung between heaven and earth vulnerable to attack, held by his vanity. Stay grounded!

Dear God, keep me humble and help me to think of others before I think of myself. Order my steps so I will not get caught up by my own vanity.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment