Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Are You Interested in Savings

Luke 19:23
Why then didn’t you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?


I made a deal with my sons that for every “A” they made on their report cards they would get $10 and their mother said that she would match what I gave. Jordan got his report card first and made six “A’s!” Wow! I was proud of my son and opened up my wallet and felt like I was being held up. LOL. His eyes lit up when he got my money and his mother’s money. I told him it pays to get good grades. He counted all of his money and even had some stashed away from previous gifts and he asked me, “daddy can I open a savings account?” I said, “Yes.” He asked, “Will I get interest?”

It was amazing to see a sixth grader interested in a savings account. He didn’t ask to go to the store to buy toys, clothes or candy. He wanted to go the bank and deposit his money to get interest.

What have you done with the money your father gave you? Is interest working for you or against you? If you are in debt with high interest rates it's working against you, but if you are like Jordan with cash in hand and you invest it in interest bearing accounts it's working for you. (see Dave Ramsey’s, Financial Peace for more info on getting out of debt.)

Jesus told a parable of a King who left his workers with Ten Minas a piece. Two invested their money and gave him back more with the interest they had earned but one of them hid the money out of fear that the one who gave it to him would take it away. Why would he hide it from the one who gave it? Isn’t it odd that we hide our money from our heavenly father?

When we refuse to tithe or give our offerings it’s like we are telling God, “I don’t trust you with your own money.”

The two that invested their money got cites for their investment. The one who hid his money got his taken away and given to the one who already had ten. The owner said, “I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what he has will be taken away.

If you are interested in Savings you must learn to trust your father and put his money in things that give interest to your money. If you aim to live a kingdom life then the formula looks like this: 10% tithes, 10% savings, 10% philanthropy, 10% investments, and live off of %60. If you are just starting off and you want to build toward Kingdom living then your formula should look like this: 10% tithes, 10% savings, 80% living expenses.

Are you interested in Savings?

Dear God, thank you for your gifts of money you have blessed me with. I pray I would be a good steward and give you back more than you gave me. I want my life to be lived earning interest to build your Kingdom. Thank you for looking out for my best interest, now today, I choose to deposit my appreciation into heaven's bank account by doing good to those around me. I owe you me.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment