Monday, October 18, 2010

Live by Faith Not Fear

Job 3:25
What I feared has come upon me; what I dreaded has happened to me.


One of the over arching themes in the rescue of the 33 Chilean miners was their faith. Groping around in the darkness without knowing if they would ever be found much less rescued, the men tried to encourage each other but they were also real, “we may get out and we may not. In fact, we might die.” In the meantime, they acted like they were going to get out by rationing out the food and praying. Seventeen days later, they heard a drill breaking through the surface. One man said, “I held on to God’s hand, the best hand. I had no doubt that God would bring me out.”

The men focused on getting out not dying. Whatever you focus on is what will manifests in your life. You have to imagine something good breaking through the surface no matter how long it takes. Just like the miners, Job was in a dark place. In this chapter, he’s regreting the day he was born because it seems like God has forgotten about him. He’s lost all ten of his children, he lost all of his flocks, his house, and now his health is failing him. When it’s dark in our lives and we can’t see the hand in front of our faces, it’s easy to feel like God is not there but you have to keep the faith that help is on the way.

How do we live by faith?

1. Speak those things that are not as though they were. When the world was dark and without form, God spoke, “Let there be Light!” and there was Light! Being made in the image of God we can speak Light into dark situations. Someone once said, “instead of cursing the darkness light a candle.” Your words are candles. You should speak life not death. When you find yourself in the dark it’s best to make sure you speak light and life.

2. Believe that all things are possible with God. The miners said we never stopped believing that we would be rescued. Believe you will get a job. Believe this recession will lift. Believe the war will be over. Believe you will get out. What is impossible with man is possible with God.

3. Pray in faith. He who prays must believe that God is able to do what he is asking God to do. James 1:6 (New International Version)

6But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.



Dear God,

I’m ready to be rescued. I know it’s been dark for my brothers and sisters in America during this recession. It’s been dark for the people of Haiti with 1.5 million people still homeless living in tents but I pray that you would send relief and help us all to turn back to you and live by faith and not fear. I see myself in the future and it's brighter than it is right now. I see the American people with jobs and creating a greener planet. I see the Haitian’s with homes and better government. I see the war in Afghanistan over and our troops at home. I’m confident that you will bring us all out and we can celebrate our deliverance together.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment