Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Don't Shut Up, Speak Up

Luke 18:39
Those who led the way rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”


Nobody knows more what you need from God than you do. When the opportunity comes your way to finally be heard there will be some people who will try to silence you because it threatens their agenda. Sometimes people will try to discount your voice because of pecking order. Since you are not leading the way then your words don’t carry weight in their eyes but God wants you to speak up and not shut up.

Jesus was passing by a blind man on his way into Jericho. What got this blind man’s attention was that there was excitement and energy in the air he hadn’t recognized before. It was something different about today. He has asked what was happening. Notice he didn’t say “who is it?” he said “what was happening?” he felt the possibilities of something supernatural. When you lose one sense the others get stronger. Maybe you need to ask God what’s happening where you are this morning. Could it be that Jesus is up to something?

Somebody said, “Jesus of Nazareth is passing by.” This could have been another cue to shut him up. ‘Jesus of Nazareth.’ There was a saying amongst the people that asked, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” How many times have we let popular opinion of somebody who can help us, override what we need from God? We will often let the demonization of popular opinion make us shut up and stop short of getting what we get because we believe what other people have to say without seeing it for ourselves. “You know he’s from Nazareth. Yeah he drinks with sinners, he’s friends with tax collectors, and they say he leads a cult…”

The blind beggar says, “Jesus Son of David, have mercy on me!” Son of David is a messianic title. The blind beggar sees what the others could not. This was God’s anointed and he shouted for his help. They told him to shut up, instead he got louder. How bad do you want it? If you want it bad enough you will not shut up, you’ll get louder.

Your sense of urgency and faith will get Jesus’ attention. When he stops don’t ask him for what you are used to asking for, today ask him for the impossible. It would have been easy for the beggar to ask him for some money, he was a beggar. Everybody expected that he would ask for money because he was a beggar. Instead, when Jesus asked him, “What do you want me to do?” he answered, “I want to see!” Because if I can see I won’t need to beg anymore.

Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus, praising God.

Dear God, I want to see. I will not shut up just because other people don’t think I have the right to be heard. I feel something supernatural happening and I need you to do the impossible in my life today. I want to see my breakthrough. I want to see my healing so I can get up and praise you today. I will not shut up, I’m about to get louder!

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment