Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Look At Me Now!

I Timothy 4:12

Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.


All eyes have been on R&B singer Chris Brown to see if he can recover from his disappointing domestic abuse charge against his former girlfriend Rihanna. Both of them are so young and gifted. I believe in redemption and I was glad to see Rihanna walking in forgiveness as she asked the judge to allow Chris to be in the same building with her so he could get back to work.

All Chris had to do was go to therapy, do some community service, and get back to work. Instead of getting his heart and mind healed he allowed the public scrutiny to make him bitter and dedicated his new album to all his “haters.” I could tell his heart was not healed when he had a blow up in the NBC studios when Robin asked him about Rihanna. I lift Chris up as an example of many young people who are thrust into the spotlight without the inner work necessary to survive the scrutiny of success. If I could have helped him I would have told him what Paul told young Timothy….”Don’t let anyone look down on you because of your youth but instead set an example for the believers.

People are always going to be skeptical of younger people in leadership, in the spotlight, because they think you don’t have the experience or maturity to be there. That’s why it’s important to work on your inner character just as much, if not more, than your outer appearance. Paul tells Timothy working out and going to the gym has some benefit but character development helps you in the present life and the life to come. Verse 8.

Before you tell people to “Look at me now” make sure you’ve done your inner work. Don’t’ let anyone look down on your youth but instead set an example for all believers:

1. In speech. Watch what comes out of your mouth. Out of the mouth the heart speaks. Make sure your heart is healed and filled with the Holy Spirit before you open your mouth. James 3:6

2. In life. Your lifestyle should mirror your values. Jesus said, “You shall know a tree by the fruit it bears. When your life is productive and you are helping other people it will shut your critics up real fast.

3. In Love. People will know we are Christians by our love. I Cor. 13: 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

4. In Faith. Based upon how you react to any given situation you show people what kind of faith you have in God.

5. In Purity. God is Holy therefore we have to be Holy. Are your motives pure?
After you do your inner work then you can confidently tell all your critics, “look at me now!”

Dear God,

Work on me. Search me. If you find anything in me that is not like you take it out and recreate my image so that I reflect your image. Before you put me on stage, allow your Holy Spirit to be my PR coach and give me instructions on how to develop a positive public image by living in your image. You created me in your image and I want to be more like Jesus. Give me the mind of Christ so that I can live my life in a way that is pleasing and acceptable to you. I know if I please you then it doesn’t matter what men say. Give me a peace that surpasses all human understanding and when People look at me let them see you.

In Jesus Name!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment