Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Secret of your Insanity

Philippians 4:12

New International Version (NIV)

12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.


Do you really need that or do you just want it? It’s amazing what we can make it without once we have to. These hard economic times have forced all of us to downsize in some shape or fashion. Whether we had to choose another home, a smaller car or no car, try to find another job we have had to make some kind of adjustments. I’ve relearned a secret from my childhood, that is, I’ve learned to be content with what I already have. When I was a child I had to finish what was on my plate before I could consume anything else. The secret to your sanity is to make full use of what you already have before you long for something more.

A brother in Christ helped me with this not long ago. He said, “Don’t take on any more debt during this recession! You don’t really need to buy anything else. How many shirts do you have? How many shoes do you have? How many of them can you wear at one time? Be thankful for what you have and spend your money wisely.”

We live in a culture that creates a false need through advertisement. The average American watches 3 hours of TV a day, spread out that’s 10 years of TV viewing in a lifetime. All the while advertisers are stealing your contentment by making you purchase stuff you don’t even need.

The secret to your sanity is to learn the secret of contentment.

1. Be happy with what you already have. Mix and match the clothing that is already in your closet. Repair that car that is already paid off before you go get a new one. All we have needed His hand has already provided.

2. Keep clean and take care of what you have. Growing up we may not have had the newest clothes but they were clean. We may not have had a mansion but our trailer was clean. We always took care of what we had and thanked God for it.

3. Get rid of clutter. When the widow woman was in debt the prophet told her to sell what was in her house. She found some empty jars and filled them oil to sell to her neighbors. Sell what you have to get what you need.

4. Don’t create any more debt. Pay off what you owe with what you save from not spending on false needs.

5. Do not be anxious about anything but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Dear God,

I’m good! You keep making a way for me over and over again. I have no complaints. I’m moving towards being D-Free! Debt Free! Distress free! Depression Free! I can do everything through Christ who strengthens me. I have learned the secret of being content.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment