Monday, August 13, 2012

I Can't Do It Without Him

John 15:5

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”

In order for us to be fruitful, we must be “rootful.” We must be connected to the source of our fruitfulness. God is the source and the strength of our life. When we abide in him, life will begin to flow through us. There is so much that God can do through us if we would only abide in him.

Jesus said, “I am the vine, you are the branches.” We must be connected to Christ in order for our lives to be fruitful. What’s even more crucial is that to remain productive/fruitful, God will cut off unproductive branches and even productive branches so that you will be even more productive. In our estimation, “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it,” but in God’s infinite understanding he believes, ‘If it’s fruitful I may need to cut it so that it can be even more fruitful.’ God wants to take us from good to great but we must abide in him.

Definition of ABIDE
transitive verb
1
: to wait for : await
a: to endure without yielding : withstand b: to bear patiently : tolerate
: to accept without objection
intransitive verb
: to remain stable or fixed in a state
2
: to continue in a place : sojourn — abid·ernoun — abide by
: to conform to
: to acquiesce in

In order to be Fruitful we must abide in God and let him

  1. Cut off dead or unproductive branches. If something is not working in your life quit trying to hold on to it.
  2. Prune you after you’ve been successful. We want to hold on to yesterday’s press clippings and God is trying to push you into tomorrow’s possibilities. Sometimes, he has to cut you away from yesterday’s connections to reach out to your potential for greater.
  3. Graft you into his will and his way. Lean not unto your own understanding but in all your ways acknowledge him.

Dear God,

Keep me connected to you. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Today, I will be fruitful because I’m connected and abiding in Jesus.

In Jesus name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment