Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I Can't Shut Up!

I Can’t Shut Up!

Jeremiah 20:9

New International Version (NIV)

9 But if I say, “I will not mention his word or speak anymore in his name,” his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.

There are always some people who wish you would just shut up, not because you are saying anything wrong but because they don’t care to hear the truth. When people are comfortable living a lifestyle that does not line up with God’s standard the truth of God’s word makes them uncomfortable. God’s word will also make believers uncomfortable when we refuse to share the truth when we know deep down they need the truth.

In this politically correct world where people are growing more and more aggravated toward absolute truth it is becoming more and more tempting to just shut up. When you share God’s word sometimes you are antagonized as some archaic, judgmental, irrelevant unwanted guest. There are times when you just want to keep God’s word to yourself and go somewhere by yourself.

Jeremiah, one of God’s prophets was trying to warn Israel and Judah of their pending destruction due to their disobedience to God. Instead of listening they beat and imprisoned Jeremiah. Upon his release Jeremiah told God that he had deceived him in being a messenger and he wasn’t going to share God’s word anymore. When Jeremiah tried to shut up, here’s what happened:

1. Heart Burn. If I say I will not mention his word or speak anymore in his name, his word is in my heart like fire. When we see something that is not right in the world and God’s word is in our hearts we will experience heart burn when we don’t speak to it. Your heart will ache over injustice and you can’t shut up when you see it.

2. A feeling in your bones. You get to a point in your life where you can no longer deny what you feel to be true. Repressing God’s word can become depressing and you can feel it in your bones when life doesn’t match up to what you know to be true. It’s only a matter of time before something breaks.

3. I am weary of holding it in, I cannot…shut up. As much as you want to, you cannot shut up when God’s word is in you. God’s word cannot be contained. If we refuse to say something for God, the rocks will cry out.

Today, open your mouth and be obedient to what God told you to say. Speak truth in Love. Don’t Shut up. You can’t!

Dear God,

Use me as a messenger of your truth. As unpopular as it may be, your word is still able to set the captives free. Free me from the fear of being unpopular and help me to know the Truth and speak the Truth, so the Truth will set us all free.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment