Thursday, May 26, 2011

Get Me Outta Here!

Romans 7:22-23

For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members.


T-Mobil has a commercial featuring Dewayne Wade who is in a hotel room getting dressed in the bathroom. When he tries to exit the doors get jammed and he starts yelling, “Get me out of here!” His phone somehow records his desperate plea and goes out over the 4g network. Everybody gets a hold of the message and begins to interpret that Dewayne wants out of Miami via a trade when in actuality he just wants out of the bathroom. The maid opens the door and says, “You made the news.”

How many times have you felt like D-Wade, trapped inside a situation wanting to get out, but your actions being misinterpreted from people on the outside? It’s amazing how people don’t really know what you struggle with on the inside but take “sound bites” out of your life to hear what they want to hear. Bad news travels around the world before good news can get out of the door good. We all want the best of who we are to come out but sometimes the perception of who we are gets communicated first.

Akon was right, “I’m locked up and I can’t get out.” The best of who I am, the part of me that most resembles God sometimes gets locked in the changing room. I’m getting ready to come out only to find out that my flesh locked the door on my higher self. While my lower self walks out of the hotel misrepresenting who I am. Have you ever said something you wish you could take back? It’s almost like you can hear yourself talking but you are not quick enough to stop it. There is a battle going on in the “changing room,” and I want outta here!

The Apostle Paul described this as a struggle or a war against the law of my mind and the law of sin in our bodies. When we know the law of God or the word of God it makes us conscience of what is right and wrong. Knowing what is right or wrong is a start but not the end. Knowing actually increases the appetite of the flesh to do what you know not to do. When we see someone fall from grace we always are quick to say, “They knew better than that!” They did and you do too, but why do WE continue to do it? Because the best of who we are gets trapped in the changing room while the worst of who we are gets miscommunicated.

How do we get outta here?!

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Proverbs 1:7 a healthy respect of God’s teachings is the beginning of getting out of the war between your higher self and your lower self.

Getting Wisdom and understanding will help you overcome the lower desires that pull you from your higher self. Proverbs 2:10-11 for wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you.

A relationship with Jesus will set you free from your old self. By (Jesus) dying to what once bound us, we have been RELEASED from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Sprit, and not in the old way of the written code. Romans 7:6
I’m Outta Here!

Dear God,

Thank you for opening the doors and releasing me from my old self. I’m able now to represent you the right way and to put to death the old ways that had me trapped in the changing room. Old things have passed, all things have become new again. I’m ready to spread the good news and leave my old self in the changing room. Thanks for getting me outta here!

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment