Wednesday, May 25, 2011

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet!

I Kings 10: 6 She said to the king, “The report I heard in my own country about your achievements and your wisdom is true. 7 But I did not believe these things until I came and saw with my own eyes. Indeed, not even half was told me; in wisdom and wealth you have far exceeded the report I heard.[1]

So many times, we live our lives from the perspective of other people’s opinions. You miss out on the grand scope of things because of the limited perspective of other people and your own limited experience. It reminds me of the Six blind men who were exploring an elephant for the first time.

Six blind men stumble upon an elephant for the first time. Each man finds a different part of the elephant and is ecstatic in their descriptions of what they have found. One man describes the trunk, another, the tail, yet another, the body and finally the leg is described. Each is insistent they have the accurate description and the others must be wrong. http://www.noogenesis.com/pineapple/blind_men_elephant.html

Each one of them has a part of the truth but the half has not been told. How many times have we let people come back with hearsay about a church and you base your opinions on something you haven’t experienced or seen for yourself? You’ve condemned someone or something based on somebody else’s limited understanding of a piece of what they’ve experienced. An elephant gets shrunk down to a rope because one blind man touched his tail.

The Queen of Sheba had heard about how much wisdom Solomon had and how great his kingdom was but it was not until she paid a visit herself that she discovered just how great his wisdom and kingdom were. She said, “not even half was told me!” How much of life are you missing because you are living off of half of what other people tell you.

It’s amazing to me how many people tell me the varied opinions of what our church is all about before they experience it for themselves. One lady told me on Facebook that she “heard our church was only for young people” until she tuned in live for TNT to hear me preach. She said your teaching made me want to come to your church for the first time because you are nothing like what I heard. How many great experiences, good friends, wonderful opportunities have we let slide because you listened to somebody who only had a fraction of the truth? Our problem is that we don’t investigate ourselves.

In order to experience all that God has for you, you must:

1. See for yourself. One of my long time members joined my church because the Holy Spirit kept telling her to go to my church even though everybody around her said don’t. She was driving past our church when God made her turn around. When she came in for prayer the intercessor prophesied over her everything that was going on in her life. She never missed another week.

2. Let go of limited understanding. The problem with the blind men wasn’t their blindness it was their inability to let go of their limited understanding so they could share with each other their different pieces. We need to share with other people our pieces of the truth so we can understand the bigger picture.

3. Take an open mind with you when you go then test the Spirit by the Spirit. Jesus said, “My sheep know my voice and they will not hearken to the voice of a stranger.” You will know what is from God and what is not.

Dear God,

I want to experience all of what you have for me. I am ready to explore every piece of the truth so that in knowing the truth the truth will set me free. I am not satisfied with other people’s prejudices and spin on the truth. I want to know fully every revelation you have for me. Get me out of my comfort zone and show me everything you have for me. I have a feeling that the half has not been told. Eyes haven’t seen, ears haven’t heard, and neither has it entered into the hearts of men what you have for me. Show me Lord, I want to see.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

[1] The Holy Bible : New International Version. electronic ed. Grand Rapids : Zondervan, 1996, c1984, S. 1 Ki 10:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment