Monday, December 20, 2010

It's Your Turn But Not Your Time

John 7:6
Therefore Jesus told them, “the right time for me has not yet come; for you any time is right.


Every child wants to go first in whatever they play. It’s amusing to see my seven year-old's team jostling for position for every drill in practice. ‘We talking about practice (my Allen Iverson voice).’ They are jumping in front of each other, pushing to go first. The coach has to remind them that everybody is going to get their turn it’s just a matter of time.

It doesn’t change much once we become adults we just know how to hide it better. We still push or politic our way to the front. We self-promote and manipulate our way up front but what we need to realize is that in life we are all going to get our turn when it's our time. Be anxious for nothing but be ready; for you know not the time nor the hour. Success comes when preparation meets opportunity. While we are waiting for our turn and our time we should be studying to show ourselves approved. We should be doing what God told us to do so that when it’s our time he will find us faithful. Whatever we do we should be doing it as for God and not for men. It might be your turn but is it your time?

Jesus was prepared but he would not be pushed into a premature place. His brothers wanted him to make a public appearance during the feast of tabernacles. Jesus purposely stayed away because the Jews wanted to take his life. His brothers, ignoring the threat, were more focused on the fame. They told him, “No one who wants to become a public figure acts in secret. Since you are doing these things show yourself to the world.”

In this Youtube world we live in, everyone wants to show themselves to the world before they have anything to show. “Look at me, I’m not ready but I want you to see me.” Not so with Jesus. He was prepared and he was ready but it wasn’t his time. Jesus told his brothers, “The right time for me has not yet come, for you any time is right.” You can’t let anybody talk you into doing something when God has not released you. There is a time and a season for everything.

How do you know when it’s your time?

1. You don’t have to force it. When God is in something he makes a way for it to happen in your life. You don’t have to invite yourself anywhere. One of the wisest things my pastor Quinton Yates told me was, “never ask anybody to preach. If it’s meant for you to come they will invite you.”

2. You don’t have to manipulate it. You don’t have to steal your blessing like Jacob did. What God has for you it is for you.

3. The resources will be produced. When it came time for Jesus to fulfill his destiny he told his disciples that they would find a colt that has never been ridden before tied up. “If anybody asks you why you are untying it, tell them the Lord has need of it.” What’s amazing is that when they found it nobody argued with them because it was his time.

4. You will have peace about it. You just know that you know that you know when it’s your time. God will give you an innate sense about it.

5. God will open up the doors. There are some opportunities that you couldn’t have generated on your own that you will know without a shadow of a doubt that God did it.

Dear God, thank you for ordering my steps. You know my end from my beginning. I trust you to show me when it’s my turn and my time. I am non-anxiously awaiting my turn and listening for you to tell me when it’s my time.

Thank you Jesus,
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment