Monday, December 6, 2010

The Secret of Contentment

Philippians 4:12
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.


One thing has remained constant through the years, the inconsistency of the economy. The economy has risen and fallen. We have experienced recession and depression, surplus and prosperity. We’ve seen extremely rich people and extremely poor people but it’s the people in the middle who have learned how to survive and live between both extremes. There is a balance in life that must be obtained in order that you might not be overwhelmed by the changing of the tides. It is the secret of contentment. Contentment is an ease of mind, willingness to accept circumstances as they develop. Contentment isn’t a matter with being content with our situation in life and never trying to improve it. It’s a matter of being content with what you have.

If we look around us right now we have so much to be thankful for; a roof over our heads, food to eat and clothes on our backs. We have a reasonable portion of health and strength, if we are still alive. I heard someone say the other day that the new definition of rich is having a job and being able to pay your bills. American’s are being forced to learn contentment.

This Christmas don’t worry about purchasing a bunch of material things for presents. Instead, focus on the presence of Christ and being present with your loved ones. What Jesus did by dying on the tree is more important than what we can put under the tree. I’m content knowing that the blood of Jesus covers me and my family. That is the greatest gift ever.

If you're old enough you’ve already lived through hard times before or at least read about people who have. If God did it before he can surely bring us through it again. Whatever state I’m in, I’m going to be content because I’m confident that my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus, whether well fed or hungry whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

Dear God, thank you for keeping us thorough this recession. It has been tough but the peace of mind you’ve given me has kept me through all of my circumstances. I pray for those who are anxious about their needs that you would supply all their needs. Give us the secret of contentment to make it through this season of lack until we can get to the season of plenty. I thank you for what I do have: my life, my health, my family. I thank you that I’m in my right mind! I’m alive! Thank you Lord for seeing me through and today I’m going to be content knowing you will supply all my needs.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment