Wednesday, December 8, 2010

We Need The Gym & The Church?!

I Timothy 4:8
For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.


Pretty soon the Gym will be crowded again. After the over-indulgence through the Holidays people will try to get back on track with their bodies and their diets. I always have a silent laugh to myself as I see all kinds of people that I haven’t seen all year trying to shed those unwanted pounds from months of neglect. Don’t get me wrong it's good for them to be there but know this, it’s going to take more than a month to get your body into shape and it's going to take more than the gym. It’s going to also take the church.

Paul said that physical training is of some value but godliness has value for all things. Jesus said, “I have come that you might experience Ife and life more abundantly. The word life in Greek is translated ZOE which means one who is possessed of vitality or animate. This vital and animated life is both physical and spiritual which is a combination of a spiritually grounded life housed in a healthy body. The majority of physical activity is managed by mental and spiritual will. You will hear many athletes say that 90% of their sport is mental; meaning that if they can ever master the spirit, the will, and the discipline then the physical part is easy. Look at Tiger Woods, one of the most skilled golfers in the world. His struggle right now is not in the physical, his struggle is emotional and spiritual. Once he centers himself in the Spirit then you will see a new and improved Tiger. Look at Michael Vick. You can arguably say that he is playing his best football ever because of the conditioning of the Spirit and a spiritual coach in the person of Tony Dungy. That’s why the apostle Paul said I beat my body to bring it into submission. You are fully alive when you are able to combine the gym(physical conditioning) and the church (spiritual conditioning).

1. Get in some cardio 3 X a week. I Cor. 9:24
2. Get into some weight training Hebrews 12:1
3. Take some boxing lessons or sparring class. I Cor 9:26-27
4. Study the word of God as a workout. 2 Timothy 2:15
5. Focus on four areas in your conditioning of your total person. Mark 12:30-31

Dear God, I’m ready to get into shape, physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. This coming year I’m staying in the gym and in the church every week so I can be fit for the King and the kingdom. I pray that my diet will allow me to look ten times better than everybody around me like Daniel and his three friends. Get me in shape Jesus as I get ready to live like nobody else so I can live like nobody else. Thank you for life and Life more abundantly!

In Jesus Name
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment